When captive portal is enabled and authentication type is set to "Click-through", the user is redirected to a splash page and clicks on a link to be granted access to the Internet.
Following figure shows the communication flows and steps for a Click-through captive portal with external splash page server.
- 1.A new wireless client tries to connect to a Captive Portal enabled SSID served by an Access Point.
- 2.The AP intercepts the request and redirect the user to the external splash page which is served by a external web server configured in
SSID's splash pagesetting. In addition, an
actionurlparameter is passed to the splash page such that browser can be redirected back to the cloud after submission in splash page.
- 3.Splash page content with
actionurlparameter are delivered to browser.
- 4.User clicks on the confirmation link or submit button in the splash page and then be redirected to
actionurlto complete the authentication.
In previous Section Step 2, the actionurl parameter is composed of a cloud URL with extra parameters. A https request sample to the splash page could be like this:
The https://yourwebsite.com/splash.html here is the splash page setting customized for corresponding SSID. The details of the actionurl parameters are listed as follows:
Should be "EnGenius"
IP address of associated AP
MAC address of associated AP
AP service port
IP address of the wireless client
MAC address of the wireless client
The URL that user tried to visit before authenticated
Client's MAC address (will be obsolete after 2021)
please use client_mac
AP's MAC address (will be obsolete after 2021)
please use ap_mac
Network access server identifier is used to notify the source of a RADIUS access request.
- 2.Select SSID in the configuring tool menu.
- 3.Choose the SSID you want to configure.
- 4.switch to
Captive PortalTab and make sure your Captive Portal is enabled and Authentication Type is set to "
- 5.switch to
Splash PageTab. Select "
External Splash Page URL".
- 6.Enter the URL of your custom splash page (eg, https://yourwebsite.com/splash.html).
- 7.Click on "
The external splash page must be hosted on a web server that will be accessible from the Access Points on your network. The following must be accomplished, but the particular details will depend very much on your web hosting environment.
- 1.Setup the Web Server.
- 2.Modify the splash page to set
form actionas the value of
actionurlpassed by cloud. In this way, after the user submit the form, he will be redirected to specific URL and complete the authentication.
- 3.Another way to implement the splash page is to have a hyperlink redirect the browser to
actionurl. For Example:
<a href="<?php print $_GET['actionurl'] ?>">For all in one url</a>